Cycling is a great way to stay active and explore the beautiful town of Cary, NC. As Cary continues to experience warmer weather, more and more people will be dusting off their bikes and hitting the road. However, it’s important to prioritize safety while cycling to ensure a safe, pleasant and enjoyable experience. Here are some cycling safety tips to keep in mind while exploring Cary’s roads and trails.
- Wear a Helmet: Wearing a helmet is a must while cycling, regardless of your age or experience. A helmet can help prevent head injuries in case of an accident, so make sure it fits properly and is securely fastened before you start your ride. If you are aged 15 or younger, cyclists are legally required to wear a helmet.
- Follow the Rules of the Road: Cyclists are considered vehicles and must follow the same rules of the road as cars. This includes stopping at stop signs and red lights, signaling turns, and riding in the same direction as traffic. Cyclists should extend an arm in the direction they are turning to signal to traffic.
Cyclists are legally allowed to take the entire lane while riding, and doing can help prevent dangerous overtakes by motorized vehicles when there is no bike lane available. Drivers should allow for plenty of room when passing cyclists.
- Be Visible: Make sure to wear brightly colored clothing or reflective gear to increase your visibility to drivers. Use a bike light, especially if you’re riding at dusk or dawn, to ensure that drivers can see you from a distance.
- Be Alert: Stay alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Keep an eye out for cars, pedestrians, and other obstacles in your path. Avoid distractions like listening to music or using your phone while riding.
- Ride on the Sidewalk When Needed: It’s legal to ride on the sidewalk in Cary, but it’s important to be cautious and yield to pedestrians. Remember that pedestrians have the right of way, and be courteous and respectful while sharing the sidewalk. Riding on the sidewalk can be helpful to avoid riding on unsafe, busy roads if you’re trying to connect to a quieter back road or greenway.
- Utilize the Greenway System: Cary’s extensive greenway system provides a safe and scenic alternative to riding on the road. Take advantage of these trails to enjoy a leisurely ride while avoiding cars and traffic.
If you are a cyclist and looking to help make the town of Cary more bike-friendly, you have until tomorrow, February 17th to apply to the Bike Plan Focus Group. You can apply and learn more about the group here.
About Article Author
You may also like
Shelter-in-Place Warning Dropped at Windsor at Tryon Village Apartments – Residents Cleared to Return Home
Stay Alert for Discolored Water: Cary/Apex Water Treatment Facility Temporarily Switches Disinfection Process Starting on March 1st
Cary Resident Faces Up to 20 Years in Prison for Running Ponzi Scheme
Cloudy Tap Water in Cary Caused by Cold Weather, Town Officials Say
Cary, NC Residents: Watch Out for Parking Lot Dent Scammers